22 January 2009

Reuse of Refuse

I decided to reuse a bit of refuse that I once created during my freshman year of college. Having not visited my blog in a few years, I admit it was most strange. I had only posted pictures, but the format I had used was somewhat callow.
So, to refurbish it a bit, I changed the format and deleted all of the posts, saving four pictures. The truth is, I wasn't willing to let them go (especially because I'm not sure if I have these images anywhere else); but the point is that sometimes it's hard to delete things, let them go.

I'm just trying to save some images I took, but I guess that means I'm holding on to the past; I'm letting it possess me so to speak. I don't think of myself as much of a pack rat, but I know for a fact that one of my best friends most definitely is. She hoards everything, everything that has any sort of consequence or interest to her whatsoever. I actually ran into her mom recently who informed me that twelve boxes were shipped home just before winter break. The contents were not the expected boots, coats, long underwear, but rather random postcards, french soaps, wrappers, doodles on yellow notepad paper, airplane soda cans, etc. I laughed as this is funny but not a surprise. Along the same lines, her mom would be absolutely (un)thrilled to know that there's a box of passed notes from seventh grade tucked under her bed. My friend despises letting things go. (Side note: Andy Warhol was quite the pack rat himself).

So what about you? I'm sure you keep and treasure certain things. I think everyone likes to hold on to certain objects. When you really think about it, it is very peculiar that we find ourselves so attached to the physical. I think we like to keep things because they allow us to remember things in a very tangible way.

No comments: